The Department of English develops the communication and critical thinking skills of students for all degree and certificate programs in the college.
The Department sees these skills as essential to success at the college, in the workforce, or in advanced education. To these ends, it offers courses in developmental writing and reading, college composition, research, literature, film, and oral communication. The Department recognizes the diversity of our students’ cultures, backgrounds, ages, and learning styles and encourages the students to use their experiences as tools in the learning process.
- Prepare students for college level writing by providing instruction in sentence, paragraph, and essay development.
- Prepare students for postsecondary education by providing instruction and practice in reading comprehension skills.
- Enable students to understand and respond critically to texts, literature, and film.
- Enable students to present and support a thesis in a well-structured, grammatically correct essay.
- Teach students to research issues, draw independent conclusions, and communicate their knowledge in well-developed essays and oral presentations, using formats appropriate to a variety of academic disciplines.