VITA - Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program at Bunker Hill Community College is available to help you fill out your state and federal tax returns free of charge.
Volunteers in BHCC's VITA program are advanced accounting students, they will be available in room D206 at the College's Charlestown Campus, 250 New Rutherford Avenue. Parking is limited and patrons are encouraged to take the MBTA Orange Line to the Community College station.
Please check our home page for school closings due to weather at www.bhcc.edu.
Tax returns will be done by Appointment. LIMITED Walk-ins will be available Tuesday and Wednesday Only.
Appointments will be made available online only every two weeks
What to Bring to VITA
- Social Security Cards for all those listed on the tax return
- Photo ID
- 1099-HC For Private Health Insurance
- Unemployment Statements
- W-2's, W-2G (gambling), State refund forms
- 1099s for interest, dividends, and work
- 1099-SA end of year Social Security Statement
- Daycare Tax ID number (if applicable)
- Excise tax, property tax, and mortgage interest
- Union dues, uniforms, other business expense
- Tenants - the amount of rent paid in MA
- Senior Homeowners- Real estate tax paid, the appraised value of the home, water bills paid
- Students - Tuition, books, and loan interest paid
- Commuters - Amount paid for Fastlane or MBTA weekly or monthly pass
- Self-Employed or you received a 1099-MISC with a box 7 amount, please wait until March for help. Do not forget proof of your business expenses.
See if you qualify for:
- Earned Tax Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Elderly Tax Credit
- Disabled Tax Credit
- Military - Combat Zone Benefits
Initiated by the IRS in 1969, VITA is a nationwide program that assists taxpayers earning up to $60,000 a year. VITA sites are generally located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls and other convenient locations such as community colleges. BHCC operates one of the largest VITA programs in the region, preparing returns for thousands of taxpayers each year.
Volunteers in BHCC's VITA program are advanced accounting students who have passed a course in Federal Income Taxation, earned certification by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and taken additional training from the Massachusetts Department of Revenue.
VITA is a partnership between Bunker Hill Community College and the Internal Revenue Service.