Due to the on-campus changes surrounding COVID-19, in-person meetings with the TRIO Student Support Services Staff are not available. Current TRIO Student Support Services will have digital meetings with mentors, tutors, and program staff. New student inquiries and all questions should be directed to the TRIO Student Support Services email: TRIO.email@example.com
TRIO Student Support Services
TRIO/Student Support Services is a federally-funded program that provides personalized academic advising and encouragement to students who are first-generation, income-eligible, or individuals who have a documented disability.
Goals for Students
- To develop a personalized program for college success
- To build self-confidence and leadership ability
- To develop and improve problem-solving, critical thinking, and study skills
- To broaden cultural experiences
- To foster peer relationships
- To build positive attitudes towards learning
- To participate in opportunities that will assist with resume-building
- To graduate from BHCC
- To transfer into a bachelor’s degree program
As a TRIO Program member, you will have the following opportunities
- Receive personalized transfer and academic advising and encouragement.
- Meet with a TRIO advisor to clarify your goals and identify any additional supports you may wish to pursue.
- Opportunity to apply for Grant Aid.
- Attend at least two TRIO TALK workshops each semester, covering a range of topics with the freedom to choose the workshops you believe will benefit you the most.
- Take advantage of participating in scheduled cultural events to theaters, museums concerts and other venues.
Why Join TRIO SSS at BHCC?
- Academic tutoring and peer mentoring
- Academic workshops and cultural events
- Financial aid advising and financial literacy education
- Develop stronger relationships with your peers, instructors, and advisors
- Graduate/transfer on time with access to resources from TRIO SSS
- Have access to help when you need it, and an office to support you in your college path
- Learn how to find scholarship opportunities to help you fund your college education
- Be a part of a Living Learning Community
Students qualify for the BHCC TRIO SSS Program by meeting one of the following three requirements:
- First-generation Status (the parent or guardian with whom the student resides has not completed a four-year bachelor’s degree).
- Low-income Status (a student’s family taxable income for the preceding year did not exceed 105% of the federal poverty level).
- Documented disability (i.e. IEP in K-12 and/or accommodations from the BHCC Disability Services for a learning, physical, or mental disability).
- Have an academic need.
How to Apply
- Complete an application (available in E236-G)
- Provide necessary supporting documentation
- Schedule an interview with an SSP staff member