Commonwealth Honors Program
Discover Just How Exceptional You Can Be. Join the Commonwealth Honors Program at Bunker Hill Community College*
The Commonwealth Honors Program at BHCC supports students who are intellectually curious and enjoy the challenge of looking at things from new and different perspectives. Through the Program, you’ll enjoy many opportunities for excelling academically in a rich and challenging environment, enhance your transfer and scholarship applications, and be part of an inclusive community of scholars that builds on the strengths of our College’s diverse communities.
Advantages of Being an Honors Student
- Become a member of a prestigious community of scholars.
- Engage in smaller, discussion-based, classes that address compelling topics.
- Benefit from more personalized, one-on-one mentoring with your professor.
- Enjoy increased access to scholarship opportunities.
- Enhance your prospects of acceptance to four-year colleges and enjoy guaranteed transfer, if you qualify, into any Massachusetts Commonwealth Honors Program.
- Have the opportunity to attend regional and national meetings of the National Collegiate Honors Council.
- Have the opportunity to present your research or signature project at the annual Massachusetts Honors Undergraduate Conference and network with other honors students across the state.
Eligibility Requirements: Can I Join the Program?
All BHCC students who meet the eligibility criteria can register for Honors courses even before they apply for program membership.
Students who become program members enjoy the added benefit of taking an Honors Seminar, and the potential to graduate from the Commonwealth Honors Program.
We encourage you to apply for membership to the Commonwealth Honors Program if you are:
- a continuing student at BHCC with at least 12 completed college-level credits and an overall GPA of 3.3 or higher;
- a transfer student with at least 12 completed college-level credits and an overall GPA of 3.3 or higher; or
- a high school graduate or current member of a BHCC dual enrollment program with an overall GPA of 3.5 or higher.
How Do I Apply for Membership?
You can apply online by filling out the online application for the Commonwealth Honors Program at BHCC. We accept and review membership applications all year round.
Only complete applications will be reviewed. The Program Director will communicate decisions to applicants typically within 2-3 weeks of receiving the application.
Interested in joining the Program but not quite sure if you are eligible? Contact our Program staff at CHP@bhcc.edu or visit the Honors Center in Room E145.
*The Commonwealth Honors Program at Bunker Hill Community College is a statewide program overseen by the Honors College at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. Bunker Hill is one among many of the Commonwealth’s colleges and universities that is a member of this program.