How to Apply for Financial Aid

Financial aid applications must be completed each year. All students are encouraged to apply for financial aid. In order to prevent any delays in the processing of your financial aid, the priority filing deadline for the Fall Semester is May 1 and for the Spring Semester is November 1.

Summer financial aid applications are available at the time of summer course registration. Summer financial aid funds are limited to Pell Grants and Stafford loans and are available on a limited basis.

In order to apply for financial aid, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and supply all requested documentation in accordance with the priority deadlines.

Filing the FAFSA

Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for federal and state financial aid. We strongly recommend students complete their FAFSA online. The form can be completed online at If you need help completing this form, please contact our office at 617-228-2370 with any Financial Aid questions.

To complete the FAFSA for the 2019-2020 academic year, you need the following information:

  • Your social security number
  • 2017 U.S. income tax return— IRS Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ or a Tax Return Transcript
  • W-2 Forms and other records of money earned in 2017.
  • If you are under 24 years of age, the same documentation is required for your parents.
  • If you are a Permanent Resident, you will need your Alien Registration Number

Bunker Hill Community College’s Title IV Code is 011210.

In order to complete the FAFSA online, both a student and a parent require username and password to access, make corrections, and electronically sign the FAFSA. To obtain a username and password, please visit

After the FAFSA is Filed

It generally takes seven days from the time you submit your FAFSA before your information is received by the Financial Aid Office. Once it is received,  you may be asked to provide additional documentation before your financial aid can be put in place. Below are some of the common requests you may receive.


Students should keep a copy of their FAFSA and all documents that were used to complete their FAFSA in an accessible place. FAFSA randomly chooses approximately one in three FAFSAs for a process called Verification. If your FAFSA is chosen, you will be asked to provide the documents you used to complete the FAFSA directly to our office. Applicants are notified in writing if additional documentation, such as tax returns, is needed. Please be sure that all documents are signed before returning them to our office.

Matriculation Information

In order to receive financial aid, students must be accepted to a qualifying certificate or degree program. If you have not yet applied to a program, please visit the Admissions Office to complete your application or visit Apply Now.

Students that have been previously admitted to a program, but have not taken classes in the previous semester or have withdrawn from the college may need to reactivate their acceptance.  You may visit the Registrar's Office to complete this process.

Citizenship or Residency Status

Students may be asked to bring original document(s) showing their citizenship or residency status.  This documentation may include a U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate, or current Permanent Resident Card.

Other Documents

There are several other documents that may be requested of you during your application process.  Please read your Missing Information Letter to see what documents are required to complete your file. You can also view your missing documents by logging into your BHCCselfservice account.