Bunker Hill Community College

Bunker Hill Community College Mobile and Tablet Version

Frequently Asked Questions

No, you do not need to take a placement test, but you will choose the best level for yourself using a Guided Self-Placement (GSP) Survey. The GSP Survey is available through the Assessment Center webpage and you can take it at home. You will begin the survey by answering a few questions about yourself. Then you will review some reading and writing samples from each level and choose the level that fits you. The survey is free and takes less than an hour. After you complete the survey, you will get an email confirmation and instructions for how to register for the class you selected.

We want you to be a part of our community. We want to share in your culture and educational goals. Unlike other institutions, you earn college credit for Academic ELL courses. The skills you gain in our ELL courses will not only help you with language, but help you succeed in the workforce and in other college level courses. BHCC instructors enjoy working with students from all languages and backgrounds.  Your instructors, classmates, and students support services are here to help you.

Academic ELL is a college level course and students receive General Education credits for them.

If you want to be a full-time student, you can take 6 credits of ELL with other college courses.

  • You can take other college courses with ELL 101 (Level) 1 such as a Learning Community Seminar and courses in Performing Arts.
  • We encourage you to take a math course along with ELL 102 (Level 2). 
  • There are many Learning Community clusters at are available at Level III such as Psychology, Sociology, Business, and Computers.

There are multiple options and pathways. We want you to take college content courses as soon as you are ready. We invite you to speak to an advisor about them.

Each ELL course is 6 credit. There are 3 Levels: ELL 101, 102, and 103.  Your instructor will assess your level at the end of each semester to determine which course you should take next. Students are able to accelerate through and out of the program based on their demonstrated skills and abilities.  We want you to be able to take English 111 and other college classes as soon as you are ready.

There are three levels. If you start at Level 1, it will take you 3 semesters or less. You have the opportunity to complete all levels in fewer semesters depending on your ability.

Cost depends on in-state or out-of-state status and amount of total credit. Check current tuition rates. Financial Aid is available for ELL courses in the Fall and Spring semesters. Students who have financial aid money left over from the spring semester may use their money to pay for summer courses, but new students who apply for financial aid in the summer must wait until the fall semester to receive their money. Financial aid is based upon your Grade Point Average (GPA). Students will lose financial aid if their GPA drops below 2.0.