Using the DISH
The DISH Food Pantry is available for current students, faculty, and staff members at Bunker Hill Community College. During the COVID-19 Pandemic, the DISH Food Pantry is delivering food/hygiene items to students/staff who live within 10 miles of the Charlestown Bunker Hill Community College campus, as well as offering on-campus pick-ups in our new refrigerated lockers.
In order to use the DISH Food Pantry,
- All users must first fill out the DISH Intake Form. This will verify Bunker Hill affiliation as well as gather some additional information for our advocacy work and reporting requirements.
- Once completed, you will receive a username and PIN to use in Smart Choice, our food pantry ordering software. This email will also have information about how to place an order.
- If you do not have access to a computer to fill out the form, please call Molly Hansen at 617-228-2045 for assistance
Using Smart Choice is easy, efficient, and user-friendly.
- Every student has 30 points per month to shop in the DISH Food Pantry.
- Faculty and staff have 25 points per month to use at the DISH Food Pantry.
- Please use all of your points in one single order. Due to increased demand, we are only able to do one delivery or pick-up order per household, per month. Points refresh on the first of every month, and do not roll over from month-to-month.
- When you log into Smart Choice for the first time, you will be prompted to enter your address phone number. We will use this information to contact you to confirm your delivery or pick-up.
- Once you complete your order, click on the green "check out" button on the bottom righthand side of the screen. A box will appear with two options: Delivery or Refrigerated Locker Pick-Up. Use the arrows on the right hand side to select your preferred option. Please note that deliveries are on a first-come, first-serve basis, and fill up quickly during the first week of the month!
- All deliveries take place on alternating weeks during the month. To make our driver's route more efficient, your delivery date may change depending on your location in Boston. The Food Pantry Coordinator will contact you before your delivery to confirm.
- If you select an on-campus pick-up, the Food Pantry Coordinator will contact you to confirm and provide instructions on locker pick-up. On the day of your selected pick-up, you will receive a text and/or email from Parcel Pending with your locker code.
Our inventory will vary, but we typically offer the following types of items:
- Fresh produce (typically onions, carrots, and potatoes)
- Frozen chicken, fish, and turkey
- Pasta & rice
- Canned beans
- Tuna/canned meat
- Peanut butter & jelly
- Canned fruits & vegetables
- Hygiene products such as toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, soap, and deodorant
- Specialty items such as gluten/dairy/nut-free products and baby food/items
In order to ensure that we have enough for everyone, there may be limits placed upon popular items such as hygiene items, frozen meat/vegetables, and produce. These limits will be automatically placed on all Smart Choice accounts. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- Download the Smart Choice Instruction guide