Guided Self Placement Student FAQs
Guided Self Placement is a process designed to help you make an informed and realistic choice about your course placement into introductory English or English Language Learner (ELL) courses. Below are series of questions and answers to help you understand Guided Self Placement at BHCC.
Guided Self Placement is a survey designed to help you determine which introductory English or English Language Learner (ELL) course to enroll. The survey asks you a series of questions to help you reflect upon your academic reading and writing experience and identify your best course placement.
You can access the Guided Self Placement survey by going to the Assessment Center website at https://www.bhcc.edu/assessment/. Click on the Guided Self Placement option.
New students who have never taken classes at Bunker Hill may take the Guided Self Placement survey. Current Bunker Hill students who have not yet enrolled in an English or ELL course may take the Guided Self Placement survey.
If you are applying to a selective health program, you do not qualify to take the Guided Self Placement survey. If you are a current BHCC student who has already completed an ELL or English course, you do not qualify to take the Guided Self Placement survey.
New students who have already completed the Accuplacer tests qualify to take the Guided Self Placement survey. Currently enrolled BHCC students, who have already completed an English or ELL course, do not qualify for Guided Self Placement.
If you qualify for Guided Self Placement, you may take the survey up to three times, prior to the end of the ADD/DROP period of the upcoming semester.
You can use your most recent Guided Self Placement course placement for registration.
On the first day of class, your instructor will assess if you are in the appropriate course. If your course placement is wrong, your instructor will help you to transition into the appropriate course level.
Taking the Guided Self Placement survey will help you make an informed decision about which English or ELL course to take.
- New degree seeking students contact Advising and LifeMap at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Current BHCC students should log into their BHCCSelfService account to find out the name of their assigned advisor or academic department.
- Guest (non-degree seeking students) should contact Student Central at email@example.com.
- Students interested in registering for basic English courses should contact Sonia Sharma at Commed@bhcc.edu or call 617-228-2462.
- To chat with an advisor in real time, log into your BHCCSelfService account.