Guest students are welcome to use all of the placement options available to new BHCC students.
Guided Self-Placement for English
All incoming students should take the Guided Self Placement (GSP) Survey for initial placement in English or English Language Learners (ELL) coursework. The GSP is not a test. It is a series of questions designed to help you find the best English course for you. It usually takes 10-20 minutes to complete.
Students can take the GSP three times. Results are valid for up to six months. The most recent selection is considered to be your course placement.
Math Placement Testing
There are two math placement tests at BHCC: the Guided Self-Placement (GSP) Math Test, and the Accuplacer. Below you can find which test is recommended for students in your major.
Applicants to the Nursing Program
Applicants to the Nursing program may take either the Accuplacer Math Test or the GSP Math Test. This math score is for admissions purposes only. If admitted to the Nursing program, students will still need to take a math course after being admitted.
Note: Applicants to the Nursing Program may take either the GSP Math Test or the Accuplacer. The math score is for admissions purposes only. If admitted to the Nursing program, students will still need to take a math course after being admitted.
Option #1: Guided Self-Placement Math Test
This test is recommended for the majors listed below, which do not require math courses above College Algebra (MAT-194).
The Guided Self-Placement Math Test is recommended for students in these majors (click to open):+
- Accounting Information Certificate Program
- Accounting Option
- Administrative Support Specialist
- Android Mobile App Certificate
- Baking and Pastry Arts
- Cardiac Sonography
- Central Processing
- Cisco Systems CCNA
- Communication Concentration
- Computed Tomography
- Computer Information Systems
- Computer Support Specialist
- Criminal Justice Career
- Criminal Justice Transfer
- Culinary Arts Certificate
- Cybersecurity Option
- Data Analytics Certificate
- Data Management (Fast-Track) Certificate
- Early Childhood Development
- Education Concentration
- Electric Power Utility Program (EPUT)
- Energy and Sustainability Management
- English Concentration
- English: Creative Writing
- Entrepreneurship Option
- Excel Applications Support Specialist
- Finance Option
- Fire Protection and Safety
- Gaming/Computer Artist
- Gaming/Computer Programming
- General Sonography*
- Global Languages
- Health Information Networking
- Health Information Technology
- Health Science
- History Concentration
- Hotel and Restaurant Management Certificate
- Hotel and Restaurant Management Option
- Human Services Program
- Integrated Media Design Option
- Liberal Arts**
- Magnetic Resonance (MR)
- Management of Assisted Living and Institutional Facilities
- Management Option
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Information Management Assistant
- Medical Information Management
- Medical Laboratory Technician
- Medical Radiography
- Meeting and Event Planning
- Microsoft Applications Support Specialist
- Mobile App Starter
- Music Concentration
- Network Technology and Administration
- Paralegal Studies
- Paramedic Studies
- Pastry Arts
- Patient Care Technician
- PC Hardware Support Specialist
- Pharmacy Technician
- Political Science
- Professional Human Services Work
- Registered Nursing**
- Sport Management
- Studio Arts
- Surgical Technology
- Theatre Concentration
- Visual Design Option
- Web Development
**Liberal Arts majors who plan to apply to the Registered Nursing program may take either the Guided Self-Placement Math Test or the Accuplacer Math Test.
*General Sonography: Students take either Physics 201 or Imaging Technology I the summer before beginning the General Sonography program. Physics 201 requires Pre-Calculus. Students planning to take Physics 201 should take Accuplacer instead of the GSP Math Test. See below for Accuplacer information.
Study Materials for the GSP Math
- Online study guide for the GSP Math Test
- PDF study guide for the GSP Math Test
- Scoring chart for the GSP Math Test
This test is accessible 24/7 online. Please note the retest policies on the bottom of this page.
Option 2: The Accuplacer Math Test
Accuplacer is recommended for majors that require College Algebra (MAT-194) or above.
ACCUPLACER is the recommended placement test for the majors below (click to open):+
- Biological Sciences—Biotechnology Option
- Biological Sciences—Medical Professions Option
- Biology Transfer Option
- Biomedical Engineering
- Business Transfer
- Chemistry Concentration
- Computer Science Concentration
- Data Analytics Option
- Electrical Engineering Transfer Option
- Engineering Transfer Option
- Environmental Science
- Information Technology Transfer Option
- Mathematics Concentration
- Object Oriented Computer Programming and Design (Certificate)
- Physics Concentration
Study Materials for the Accuplacer
Online testing: Test at home using Examity, an online proctoring service. You will need a desktop or laptop with a camera and microphone. You can test your computer here. Use the link below and select College Placement Testing Accuplacer Math Online With Examity.
Retest Policy for Math Exams
- Students may test a maximum of two times on either test (Accuplacer or the Guided Self-Placement Math Test).
- A 10-day wait period is required between attempts .A shorter wait is permitted 1-3 weeks prior to the start of a semester. Check with the Assessment Center for current dates.
- After add-drop has ended students enrolled in a math course may not retest until the end of the semester, after grades have posted.
- Math placement scores are valid for two years.
- After two years, a student may test again if they have not yet taken a math course.
Both the Accuplacer and the GSP Math Test are available on campus.
To make an appointment use the button below. Select College Placement Testing College Placement-Charlestown Campus or College Placement-Chelsea Campus, then select Accuplacer or GSP Math.
Walk-ins are also welcome when space allows. Walk-ins must arrive at least two hours prior to when the office closes. Please make sure to bring a photo ID (license, state ID, passport, etc.). Some days seating may not be available, so we recommend making an appointment. See our homepage for current hours.