Guide to Admissions

International Students 450x300px

Every year, Bunker Hill Community College welcomes hundreds of international students from more than 100 countries to our campuses. While they’re here, and after they transfer to four-year colleges and universities, they tell us that BHCC was a great choice. If you want to study at a college that offers excellent programs, outstanding faculty, individualized attention, opportunities to make life-long friends, and a great city, consider BHCC.

Bunker Hill Community College is the single most important ingredient needed to start your new career in the Melting Pot.
—Hyeryung Jin, South Korea Legal Studies and Public Safety Program

Application Deadlines for F-1 International Students

Deadlines Students outside U.S. Students within U.S.
Spring Semester November 30 January 2
Summer Term I April 21 May 15
Fall Semester July 15 August 15

To Apply to BHCC

I wish to become an international F-1 student and receive my I-20 from BHCC. Students in all other visa categories must apply using general or selective program applications.

Apply Now

You must submit the online application and upload the supporting documents as follows:

  1. Proof that you have completed high school. Submit one of the following:

    • A copy of high school diploma or equivalent of highs school completion (GED or High School Equivalency Test (HiSET). If documents are not in English, a translation from a translation agency must be submitted along. If a student has not received a diploma at the time of the application, a letter from the school official certifying that the students has completed all courses and the date when s/he will receive the diploma.
    • A copy of a bachelor's degree or master's degree diploma earned abroad. If document is not in English, a translation from a specialized agency must be submitted.
    • A copy of the transcript from an U.S. institution of higher education confirming the conferral of a degree.
  2. Proof that you are proficient in English:

    If English is not your first language, you are required to submit proof of at least intermediate level of English proficiency. We accept:

    • A score of at least 38 on the TOEFL internet-based test
    • 5 on the IELTS
    • Level 3 on iTEP
    • 38 on the PTE
    • IKEN: minimum of 2A

    Test scores are valid for two years.


    If you have previously attended another college/university with English as a primary language of instruction, you can use an unofficial transcript from your prior institution in lieu of a test if you have completed course(s) in developmental reading or writing or college-level English composition/writing with a grade of C or better.


    If you are in Boston and cannot satisfy the language proficiency using the methods listed above, please contact the International Center at to learn about other test options.

  3. Proof that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your first year of study:

    International applicants who require an I-20 from BHCC must show a proof that they have sufficient funds to support themselves for the first year of study at BHCC. We have estimated the cost of attendance at $21,100. For each dependent accompanying the student, additional $7,000 must be available.

    When you submit financial documents, they cannot be older than six (6) months from the day of your application.

    IMPORTANT:  Bunker Hill Community College does not accept letters issued by foreign embassies noted with “FOR ADMISSION PURPOSES ONLY”. We will process your application and issue an I-20 only after you submit your Financial Guarantee letter or a personal bank statement (or bank statement and affidavit of support from a private sponsor).

    If you are already in United States on another visa type and would like to change your status, please review this information.